Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Calling all the n00bs....

My first day came and went. Can't believe it's already 11 pm and I can't sleep because -- as usual -- my brain is in overtime. I arrived at school early, thank God! Once I walked in I noticed the office was closed (literally with lock and key), so there was NO ONE to tell the new kids on the block how to get to the freakin' luncheon. After walking around aimlessly I found a very nice and young-looking English teacher who helped me out.
The first meeting was with the mentors, there was food involved along with administrators. They aren't nearly as menacing as they seemed back when I was in High School. The second part of the day was all for the new teachers only -- there were 5 of us. 3 foreign language/1 music/1 art. It is definitely nice to know that there are not that many of us, so once shit starts hitting the fan we still have enough time to vent and bitch. Trust me, I know this will happen based on my student teaching semester... and induction is nothing BUT a glorified year of student teaching. One of our assignments is to read this book and create a Unit using the method of teaching described in the text. I started reading it when I got home, and I gotta say it makes sense...
-> I do it
--> We do it
--> You all do it
---> You do it alone
Very simple ideas straight out of my psychology class. However, it is much clearer in the book and it is explained using real-life examples and even "real-life" teenage talk (i am being sarcastic there, in case you couldn't tell). Either way the books seems like a good way to make the induction paperwork a bit more meaningful, and I can already tell I will be implementing some stuff in my room.
We got a tour of the school. I can't explain to you how FREAKIN' ridiculously confusing this school is... maybe because it's a school from the 70s... but seriously, people. Could you make it ANY more difficult to get to the pool? the cafeteria? MY OWN OFFICE!
The classroom situation is still a mystery, and I was given a set of keys that do not open anything in the teacher's lounge (yet they are supposed to!).

All in all, a good day.
Day #2 tomorrow: 8-4. Wish me luck!!!
<3

Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment