Saturday, August 22, 2009

First week down, a lot still to come....

The first week came and went, and the more I think about it the more blurry it becomes. I guess it's true now. It's true that I am an adult, with a salary job, a desk, a classroom (instead of an office), people I supervise, and people who supervise me, a job that provides not only retirement benefits but dental/vision/life and health insurances, an adult with bills to pay, people to see and things to do (which may or may not include laundry). It feels so superbly odd though. I mean, I am an adult but I find myself feeling weird in my own skin, because I don't feel like one. I still feel like a kid. I want to skip from my classroom to the office, I want to whistle down the hallway, play a prank on my coworkers and giggle whenever appropriate.
Meh.
I can't complain about my first week. It was great. Ups and downs, but -- just like with student teaching -- I don't want to take my work home with me and I will do everything ONE DAY AT A TIME. The philosophy works, and I intend on using it 100% of the time. What's the point on spending 8 hours pissed off at a kid who did something first period? What's the point on taking work-related drama back home?
The staff has continued introducing themselves, saying "hello!" in the hallway and smiling at me whenever they see me around. The kids have gotten over the fact that I am a strict mother!*%!_#! and they are beginning to understand the reason behind my speaking Spanish the whole period. The department has grown a bit closer, yet a few things have already started to make me "tick." *sigh* There's no such thing as the perfect work environment!
Anyway. My throat has hurt since about Thursday, and be it because I am getting sick or because I talk from 7 am til 3 pm, I hate it, I am not a happy camper. I am also falling asleep at random times, and not accomplishing as much as I would like...
SO! I went on a shopping spree today to help me focus. Focus on the gorgeous red bag I purchased, and the two pairs of pants... and the adorable pink tshirt :)

Life is good....

No comments:

Post a Comment