This was a totally emotionally charged week. I would like to say all the negative things that happened, but because my blog has been so negative as of late I would much rather focus on the good:
I turned 25. I was deathly afraid of reaching a quarter of a century and realizing that I had not accomplished anything. But I am strangely content with where I am, and though I want to be somewhere else once I am a quarter of a century + 1, this is a good place.
On Monday I skipped yoga to go to WW only to find out that my birthday shenanigans had earned me an extra pound. On Tuesday I said "eff it" and went out to eat with Jennifer, whom I never get to see because a) our schedules are totally different and b) we both live far from each other. We met up at our usual spot: Red Robin, and while I enjoyed my 10-point Red's Chili Chili and she enjoyed her Whiskey River BBQ burger, we caught up, laughed and gossiped for what seemed like 15 minutes. Next thing I knew, it was past my bedtime and I was still on the other side of i-25. I made it home and went back to work on Wednesday - my actual birthday.
I did not expect my students to remember - but they did. Three of my classes sang me happy birthday (in Spanish! I must be doing something right!) and some of the staff members congratulated throughout the day. Right before I left I found that Becky, one of the secretaries and the lady who said she was rooting for me on my very first HHS interview, had left me a super cute bracelet in my mailbox. I felt so appreciated and a little bit better than I had most of the day. I also received a convenient 6 pack of dry-erase markers. I brought cookies in for my sixth period, one of my top two favorite classes, and we laughed and commented on silly things as usual. I went to yoga after school. With all the drama and mystery surrounding the layoffs, I can't help but need my own time. On Thursday I went back to Yoga and then my friend Leslie, her husband Anton and their daughter Evie took me out to dinner at Las Delicias. I had never been there before, and I really liked it. I had some very fresh tacos al carbon, and enjoyed some deliciously crunchy tortilla chips. Leslie got me tickets to go see the Beauty and the Beast ballet at the end of the month. She is so excited for a girls' afternoon out, and I can't wait to hang out with her and see my very first ballet!
Today the day went slower than usual, probably because everyone dreaded the stand-up meeting in which the fate of the staff would be decided. Our FTE points being taken away plus the current positions that were added a quarter through first semester set us back about 5 FTE points, and that doesn't include the FTEs that will be eliminated once tenured teachers are moved around and find their new work-homes.
The highlight of my day was seeing my friends from CSH. We met at our usual spot, and this time they made it extra special - we got an extra app AND a dessert in honor of my birthday. Sadly, Barber could not join us, but Lauren, Linda, Shiloh and I had a good two hours of laughter, margaritas, gossip, and school venting time. They were all so sweet. They brought me presents and we took some pictures. Lauren got me a 25 dollar gift card to starbucks, Shiloh and Barber got me a gorgeous purple purse (which totally matches my birthday weekend celebration outfit) and Linda got me some godiva chocolate, a jewelry box and some paper clips for my classroom *I ALWAYS NEED MORE PAPER CLIPS!* After eating and drinking I needed some me time, and there was no yoga after 6 pm. I went to Maurices and Target and got some adorable new things... which I regretted five minutes later but hey! THEY ARE CUTE AND I AM KEEPING THEM!
After I got home, Michael called me and gave me the best news all week: Michael and Kelly get to come to dinner with us tomorrow! Kelly was so amazing and got her shift at work covered so she could make it down from FoCo in time. It means a lot to me that they will be there, and that she took the time and made the effort of re-arranging her schedule for me.
So tomorrow we are steppin' out on the town and enjoying the delicious food @ Lime and then some music at Sing Sing. I look forward to seeing Alex, Kris, Jeff, Jennifer, Safko, Kelly, John, Shiloh, Jess, Christopher, Teresa, Molly and anyone else who decides to join us.
Cheers for the weekend and cheers to turning 21! ***cough*** I mean, TWENTY FIVE! :)
oh, and PS: Dear reader in Englewood, who are you? Leave a comment! :)
I am so happy to be mentioned on your blog several times.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, Englewood Reader
i love and miss you so very much. i'm freaking a bit about the quarter of a century thing. i love reading your blog because its like I can HEAR you and i love that so much.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, England Reader