I woke up this morning entirely too early and made it to school barely with enough time. I went through the day thinking how well the kids were doing, and also got observed by my instructional coach during my worst hour: fifth period. Fifth period was strangely cooperative, and the email I got from my IC after school was very positive. He enjoyed the living sentence activity I did, and the fact that I was teaching vertically and included English grammar in the lesson. Um. yeah. Kids in high school do not know the parts of speech, or what a conjugated verb looks like. It's quite sad and also very annoying and frustrating when you are trying to teach a new language!
After school I had a meeting scheduled with the parents of one of my Spanish 1 kids who happens to be one of the funniest students I have. I genuinely like the kid and we get along, he is also smarter than he thinks, but he is also as lazy as they come. He has a 56% in my class, but in his last Oral, he got an 84% - that means he can put into practice the material we are learning in class... he just doesn't feel like it.
First of all, the parents made me sit there until 4 o'clock. For you parents who read this: making a teacher who has been at work since 6:30 wait until 4 pm for a meeting is CRUEL. No other word to describe it. Thank Goodness I had plenty to do and kept myself busy and as non-bitter as bitterness allowed.
The mom showed up to my classroom alone. I asked her if R was coming and she said "No, I asked him to come because he was supposed to but he said he didn't feel like it so I just came alone."
Um.
HELLO.
REALITY CHECK. You are meeting with me to figure out why your son has an F in my class. Clearly based on Infinite Campus he hasn't turned in HW, isn't studying but magically scores well when it involves talking. Your kid is just lazy! Oh and BTWs, he is also late regularly and has 4 unexcused absences. WHY in the name of God do you need to meet with ME? We need a meeting WITH YOUR SON to figure out what HE needs, and where he got lost so WE CAN ALL PICK UP THE PIECES.
For forty five minutes of my life, none of which I will ever get back ever again, I repeated myself... it was a vicious circle of "he's smart, but lazy" and an annoying picture of a mom who clearly doesn't know how to control her son and put him to work.
It was a very sad picture of what's going on in society today, and a very valid reason as to why drop-out rates are as high as they are. PARENTS DON'T KNOW HOW TO BE PARENTS.
Do not let this be you. Man up, and show your kid who's boss... they will thank you later (and this is coming from someone who had some very strict parental units... STILL does).
Much love,
Bee
No comments:
Post a Comment