Tuesday, March 2, 2010

of liars and thieves...

... And I am not talking about thieves like Robin Hood, who stole from the rich to give to the poor!

My day today was a lot better than yesterday. A lot was going on this morning, and I showed up later than I planned (... that's code for "I couldn't get my hair to do what I wanted it to do"). Anyway, Matador was already there, and he seemed to be in pretty good spirits.
... That's code for "I am pissed and this situation sucks, but I will not let you get the better of me."
I barely had time all day to go pee, so needless to say there was no time for me to talk to him. I can tell you that in general the department was in better spirits - I guess it's time for us to get back on track and not get hung up on the drama. We have teaching to do!

So I taught. I taught all day, period after period.

The highlights of my day were:
Dylan's comment about "Phantom of the Opera," which I will copy paste onto this post once I remember to write it into my planner. It was SO funny I ACTUALLY wrote it down for this post! I said to him "this is why I teach, so I can have hilarious stories to tell my friends." He proceeded to ask me "wait... are you really going to tell your friends what I said?" I said "um... yes?" The entire class laughed.

During fifth period - as you know my least favorite class - one of my favorite students just walked into my class. She walked into my class with a beautiful, sparkly, shiny and steaming hot cup of Soy Chai from Starbucks. She just walked in, put it on my desk, smiled and walked out. Not a word. IT MADE MY DAY! She remembered what I liked, and got it for me! It was delish, let me tell you, and even more delish because it was from a student, with love.

Another one of the great things about my day? Opening and closing the blinds in my classroom in order to hear overwhelmed (some of them high, some of them hungover) high schoolers say "ewww, Miss Bee it's too briiiiiiiiiight" in a very whiny voice.

And lastly, another highlight of my day? Playing the CLASSIC 80's Spanish song "VAMOS A LA PLAYA" for my Spanish 1 kids (3rd period!!! holla!) and getting them to SING IT with me and even do a little "I say, you say" thing with it:
I say: "VAMOS A LA PLAYA!"
They say: "oh oh oh oh oh!"
It was great. I guess you just had to be there... but here's a link to the song so you can kind of picture it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCVQpcY1au4

(DO NOT JUDGE THE OUTFITS... Think 80s!)
Oh and I also discovered the dudes were actually Italians singing in Spanish. Made it even that much more special for me... hahaha

And... somewhere in the middle of all that joking around, I taught. I swear.

Ok... and here's the reason for the title of my post. Ready?

The setup is as follows:
Sixth period, all the kids are ready for class to start. I am greeting them and asking them how their day is going. Assistant Principal walks in, asks for "Mommy Dearest's Son." He raises his hand, the AP says "get your stuff you are coming with me." They walk out together.
For the following forty minutes of my teaching, all I heard were mumbles about MDS (MOMMY DEAREST'S SON, TRY AND KEEP UP! JEEZ!) being in trouble. I asked the students to stop gossiping... but they kept saying how badly he had screwed up. Given the MOTHER he has, I doubted the rumors were true. But after school... the impression I had of MDS changed. 180 degrees.

Mother Dearest's kid thought it was a great idea to STEAL another freshman's Itunes password, which is linked to his parent's credit card number.
He then proceeded to USE IT and SHARE IT with other students. To make the story short, the golden boy of the "influential" parents at HHS (along with his friends) spent over $1,000 dollars on Ituness (which included the $900 Iphone Application called IRA PRO) using SOMEONE ELSE'S CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.
The victim, sadly, is one of my own kids. A very sweet, lighthearted, smart freshman who is softspoken, but freakin' hilarious at times.
After I heard the whole story (from the victim himself) I about died. We call it "vergüenza ajena" (or "shame that actually belongs to someone else" in Spanish). There is no other way for me to describe my reaction. I was speechless and almost embarrassed to say that MDS is my student. The victim (let's call him Plaster Boy) had NO IDEA who the kid who stole his information was, and he also was not sure how MDS got his information in the first place.

The ONLY good thing from the whole situation? Another one of my OWN students (let's call him Pop Star) was the one to turn in MDS. Pop Star happens to be one of the most caring and respectful students I have. I was so HAPPY to hear that instead of going with the flow, like MDS' other friends, Pop Star felt it was his duty to report him to the administration.

So...
The liar and thief is my student.
The victim is my student.
But the person who turned the thief in is also my kid.

... Interestingly enough, the whistle blower AND the thief are both in my sixth period class. I look forward to seeing how the mechanics change... I wonder if MDS even knows it was Pop Star who turned him in!

I hope you were able to follow along with the story. To be honest I even got confused with the nicknames! I just do not like to use real names on here... in case anyone EVER finds this.

"THE DEPICTIONS CONTAINED IN THIS BLOG ARE MERELY REPRESENTATIONS OF REAL LIFE AND DO NOT PORTRAY ANY PARTICULAR INDIVIDUAL. ANY SIMILARITIES TO YOUR SITUATION ARE COINCIDENCE. GET OVER IT!"

Anyway... that was my day. One of my students went from being the GOLDEN BOY to a lowly thief. One of my students went from being an average boy, to a HERO... all in a day's work.

cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment