Last time I updated, I had received a very humbling email from a parent. Since then, a lot has happened...
On Thursday the day went by as slowly as it could - even students mentioned it to me. Given that it was the last day of the week for all of us (we had comp day on Friday), everyone was eager to leave the building and enjoy the beautiful sunshine Colorado gave us this past week.
I knew I would not be able to enjoy Thursday's sunshine because we had parent-teacher conferences that night. I had sent out and email to parents on Monday afternoon, reminding them about conferences and telling them how I looked forward to seeing them. Never did I thought my Spring conferences would be busier than my fall conferences - something most teachers say is impossible.
At quarter to 4, fifteen whole minutes before conferences started, I already had a line of parents. I sat down at that time, and did not stand up again until 7:38, eight minutes AFTER conferences ended. I had a neverending line of parents from the bottom of the bleachers to the top of the gym. I did not get a bathroom break. The waterboys did not even give me water because I did not have time to ask for it. At the end, several people walked up to me and said "man! every time I looked at you you were occupied with parents! what did you do? I sat there alone most of the night!"
Not gonna lie. I am kind of happy I was busy - it made the night go super quickly. However, I have received four emails from parents that tried to talk to me - but could not, because of the length of my line. One of the funniest I received:
"Ms. B -
You were a popular woman yesterday! I think this email [[the email i sent to parents on Monday]] really encouraged folks to come by... so that's awesome, but the line was too long for the amount of time I had allocated....SORRY!"
Sorry!!!!! The general consensus of the meetings was "_____ really likes you, are you teaching level _____ next year?" I cannot complain. I feel like a lot of the parents have my back, and am praying for that to have some weight at the time of the "tenured shuffle" as I like to call it.
After PT conferences, the staff always gets together. I am sure I wrote about it last semester. Anyway, we go to this little dive bar down the street from our school - where no one we know, no student or parent will ever run into a bunch of drunken, or slightly intoxicated, educators. We got a huge section of the bar, and everyone started trickling in. We had a blast. Shiloh dropped in for a while, as well as Michael *of whom I have not spoken before... but might later on* Everyone had a really good time, and Amanda and I even sang some karaoke! (Hit me with your best shot!).
It was really really fun to see all the teachers that I never get to see because we are all so far from each other, and because my department never socializes. I have pretty much become the face of my department - it is a beautiful face, is it not?
On Friday, Shiloh took the day off and I was off anyway. We met up for brunch at Cafe TerraCota, a tiny place in downtown Littleton. I intend on visiting again soon. I enjoyed Chilaquiles and a much needed Mimosa along with great conversation.
After brunch, Shiloh and I drove around and looked at apartments. We looked at four different places, and found one that is potentially going to work for us. We have much more time to look, but for now that one is at the top of our list. After apartment hunting like to beautiful grown up women, we went downtown to Tribe Tattoo. No. We did not get tats. Shiloh got some insight on her tattoo conundrum, as well as some pricing, and both of us left a little poorer and with plans of going back in the next few weeks for some work... :) After Tribe, we went back to Shiloh's place and then she took off for LaX practice, while I went to meet up with my beautiful CSH ladies. It was a short FAC, but it is always a good time when we hang out. We laughed, vented and bitched. After that, I went home and stayed in for the night...
not without receiving TWO drunken phone calls in one night.
Tired from interrupted hours of sleep, I woke up on Saturday. I went out to the dentist, and after that to yoga. Yoga kicked my ass. I literally thought I was going to die. I am still sore today. I am sore everywhere. Even my toes hurt. So.Worth.It. Last night, Shi and I went out to dinner at a pizza place and then we went to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D. It was good! I really enjoyed it, and I also very much enjoyed going to a brand new movie theater where you get to reserve your seats beforehand (!!!!!!!).
Today I spent the day at home. I did laundry, helped around the house and attempted to do some school work. I also watched a LOT of How I met your mother. I am now on Season Four, and loving every minute of it. I am sure I am obsessed. At 3 pm, Shi and I decided we needed to go out and shop. We shopped. We went to Ross and Old Navy. Afterwards we enjoyed some delicious NY-Style pizza. We went to a little place with a big reputation called Big Bill's. I really liked it. We talked about her 30th birthday plans, New York, school and food. We were super full, but we still went to eat ice cream. I am sure I will regret this on the scale tomorrow.
There will be no more tales of restaurants until the 19th, when we go to Melting Pot. That is a promise!
So, as you can tell this was an eventful uneventful weekend. It was sunny here in Colorado; absolutely GORGEOUS few days. The snow, I am sure, is right around the corner... but until then I have to say Sunshine is why I love this state. When I can see clearly from one of the hills of my neighborhood all the way to downtown Denver, and when I can see Pikes Peak from anywhere on 470. I like it when the air is clean, there are no clouds and the sun shines, shines shines...
SPRING, COME BACK SOON!
Much love,
B
No comments:
Post a Comment