Sunday, June 13, 2010

Of EUROPE and adventures...

I am alive and well. We arrived in Europe at about 5 30 pm. We had a layover in Heathrow in which I managed to spend a lot of money on a Beckham jersey. It was an experience to see an airport in which people are dropping big bucks. It even had a fish market/shop to buy fresh sushi. Too intense.
Day 1 in Rome started with the airport, pretty much. We went to our hotel, which was about 2 hours away. It was in the middle of nowhere, but a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of the airport.
We had dinner and headed to bed. Amanda and I shared to TINY beds, but our bathroom was really big... something that we missed when we arrived in Sorrento the next day.
Day 2 - we drove from Rome to Pompei. Oh my gosh. I loved it. I loved walking through a place in which so many history happened. It was amazing. I also experienced my sweet Tevas -- Molly, they were a great purchase!
After Pompeii we went over to Sorrento. I am afraid of falling asleep because I do not want to miss anything. The roads were so beautiful on our way to Sorrento. I am afraid I have seen more of Italy at this point than many people who actually live here! We stayed at a hotel called Il Faro. We were close to the beach, and on a cliff. Literally. I have to post pictures because it is hard to explain... but it was 144 steps down a cliff to reach our hotel. We watched the England US game up on the top of the 144 stairs.. at a posh restaurant where sitting down meant you were paying cover charge. I am glad it was a tie, and that the US didnt win... I wouldve never heard the end of it from any of the students.
Our bedroom was TINY and our window faced a wall. Sad news bears!!! If I opened my arms to form a cross. I could touch both walls of our bathroom, and if turned 90 degrees, I could touch the other two walls. Inside that tiny room was our shower..... in which soaping oneself up was a mere disaster and nearly impossible.
Day 3 - We left Sorrento on a ferry to Capri. I was scared because water and I do not get along. However, I do not regret stepping on that ferry. Capri is by far one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The island is uphill, which sucks if you had to carry a 20 pound bag... We all did. However, the heat and the amazing views were enough to push through and take one for the team. It was breathtaking. Everything was upscale and expensive... but I managed to find a Capri  and Co. Watch which was VERY cheap. I purchased it in THE most expense street in the Isle of Capri. It is pink and I want to marry it. I am sure I am done shopping now.
After Capri, we took another ferry to Napoli. We then rode the bus from Napoli to the outskirts of Rome. We got to a MUCH nicer hotel -- first one with Air Conditioner and pool and INTERNET! I was having some major facebook withdrawals and I have to confess I think in "facebook status"
The two other groups joining us in our voyage arrived today. I can foresee the drama ahead... more among the chaperones than among the kids.
Tomorrow we are heading to Rome and seeing the Colisseum, one more thing I cant remember and then we are ending the day in Vatican City. I have done so many school projects on the Vatican I have a hard time imagining myself in the middle of the Basilica. I have such high expectations that I know will be fulfilled.
I am in love with the Old Continent... however... not so much with the people.

I must talk to you about the Breakfast Nazi, and many other picturesque characters I have met in a mere 3 days. People here are VERY rude.

Peace, love and I have NO IDEA when I will post again!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment