Monday, September 6, 2010

of Panamanian rum, meadows and turkey pepperoni

Dear Labor Day Weekend: You are so good to me.
I swear. If more awesome stuff goes down this year, it will be - by far - one of the best years of my life.
This weekend, I had the pleasure of attending one of my good friend's weddings. Chris and Jessica are now happily enjoying Hawaii for their honeymoon.
I met Chris and Jessica during the spring of 2009. Jessica and I quickly became good friends, and eventually yoga partners in crime. Chris and Jess taught me how to carve a pumpkin, introduced me to True Blood, took me on a double date (that went horribly wrong! haha), invited me to my very first Downtown Denver New Year's Celebration, took me to my first NFL game, etc etc etc. They have been a very positive part of my last year, and will continue to be a significant part of my life for years to come... I just know it!
They are such a perfect couple. Chris is Jessica's perfect half. I am so glad that I got to witness their union as a couple and the beginning of a new chapter of their lives. CONGRATS, you guys! I loveeeee you!!!! <3
Shiloh and I headed up to Estes Park shortly after school on Friday. We were mortified about Labor Day traffic, but were pleased to find barely any cars on the road. Of course, we ran into all the "slow pokes," so I bitched quite a bit - Shiloh just shook her head.
We arrived at Estes at around 6 pm. Jessica and CO were heading to their rehearsal dinner, so Shi and I were left with a few hours of free time. We first went to the Stanley Hotel, one of my favorite places in Colorado. I love everything about it: the creaky boards, the sketchy doors, the beautiful scenery, the crisp white façade and the potential of running into a ghost. We sat at the front porch for about an hour, and just took it all in... what a pretty pretty place.


After the Stanley, Shi and I walked around town and wondered many things: How does such a small town stay afloat when most of the stores carry the exact same stuff? We walked by two pizza places that were practically next to each other, two ice cream shops next to each other, several t-shirt stores back to back... it truly makes you wonder HOW they do it! Are we missing a memo?
We caved after walking past one of the ice cream shops and stopped for some treats. I got ice cream and Shiloh got herself a caramel apple - I've never had one! It looked good, though.


Jessica called around 9 pm and we met up with her, her sister Amy and her brother in law Ben. We hung out for a couple of hours before heading up to our room. Jess, Shiloh and I got ready for bed and then vented about our job. We went to bed and woke up bright and early on Saturday morning. Comfort Inn provided us all with some seriously good free breakfast and then Shiloh and I went about our day. We checked into our hotel (SUPER early!), and then walked around downtown Estes. We returned to the hotel, did some hot tub/pool action and then got ready for the wedding. We snacked on some delish turkey pepperoni (the best invention), wheat thins and cheese. I attempted to hook Shiloh on How I met your Mother, but our ride got in at about 4 pm and we headed to the wedding.
The wedding place was absolutely breathtaking. It was a beautiful lodge, at over 8 thousand feet, and at the entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Jessica and Chris got married in a meadow, by a river and surrounded by a scenery only Colorado can provide.
After the ceremony we all walked back up to the lodge and enjoyed the rest of our night with great music, good company and amazing food.
We ended the night with a bunch of Jess + Chris' friends who had rented a cabin. Shiloh's brother joined us after his photography duties were over, and we all stayed up until about 3 am. I saw my second and third shooting stars EVER!
We went back to the hotel and slept til 10 am on Sunday. Collin, Shi and I went to breakfast at the Egg and I - where we had a Russian waitress (...).
After breakfast, Shiloh and I made our trek back to the south Metro area, not without stopping in Boulder to say "Hi!" to Karli - my former roommate.

Such a great weekend. Thank goodness for good friends!



Oh, and in professional news: I am officially a Graduate Student
 xoxo,


B

No comments:

Post a Comment