I woke up on Saturday of last week not really expecting anything. Toward the end of my day, I had been asked on a date by one of my coworker's friends. The guy, "a really nice guy," according to my friend, intimidated me a little bit because he was not shy about making sure I knew he liked me. He also made me feel a little reluctant because the last guy I dated, who also was described as a "really nice guy" was unemployed, still a student, had not one but a few DUIs on his record... among many other things I couldn't get past. Mainly: no ambition.
Anyway, this guy asked me out and I said yes without really thinking about it. Then the days went by and I got a little more excited, yet nervous, as the week progressed. Went to trivia with him, and my friends, and it was fun. Still, I am not sure if it was my lack of willingness to open up... I was sure there were no sparks.
That is, until Saturday rolled around and I saw him. Just him. No 5 other people to distract me. No drama. No trivia guy yelling obscenities. No sound bites from Elizabeth Taylor movies. Just him and me.
I have done dinner and a movie many times... with friends, girlfriends, and on dates. I assumed it would be the usual. Dinner. Movie. Home. Done. Nothing to it.
Except for the fact that when he got into my car I started pouring out nothing but "me." I was flustered with the parking lot, and I made sure to tell him. I ordered a beer instead of a girly drink. I laughed at the inappropriate jokes from Your highness because they were funny, without minding that he was next to me and probably judged the fact that I thought SEVERAL of those things were WAY more hilarious than he did. I was myself, and he didn't run away. He didn't judge me. He didn't freak out. He actually even took me to dinner afterward.
The restaurant was completely empty. We had 45 minutes to eat. I was so amazed by the fact that it was just us, and it felt so right.
We talked about family, movies, books, frisbees, beer, Fort Collins, traveling... and we could've probably stayed out way past midnight if it wasn't for the fact that I was exhausted from driving to and from Greeley, had a 5 hour class, a presentation and a late night the previous day.
I am not really sure what it is that I am feeling. I feel stupid for saying that I feel very sure about whatever this is, even though we have only officially gone out once. I feel silly for being so giddy about it, even though we barely know each other. I feel weird that this has happened so quickly. I feel thankful that I have people who push me to do things I wouldn't otherwise do - G and Handle are definitely my angels right now, they were SOOOO rooting for him!
I don't know where it is going, but I am not going to sit here and let it pass me by. I intend on enjoying every single minute I have of this experience.
Who knows?
Maybe this one does come with a white horse.
Paz,
B
No comments:
Post a Comment