Wednesday, March 14, 2012

of sixth classes....

Tuesday the 13ths are considered "Bad luck" days in the Hispanic culture. In other words, it is our equivalent of Friday the 13th. Why? Well, according to Wikipedia it is because of the old Spanish saying that says "On the 13th, and Tuesday, don't get married, don't travel." Asides from that there is not much more information beyond the classic knowledge that the number 13 is bad, and that Mars is the god of war, therefore it relates Tuesday (MARTES, day of Mars) to blood and violence...
I was hoping I could say more, but there isn't more to say.
Anyway, yesterday, Tuesday the 13th started off on a horrible foot. Literally woke up at six am, not even kidding. Normally I am well on my way at this time of the morning. Either way, I made it to school with enough time to put my lunch box away and then stumble into my classroom.
My classes went well, but I had a parent email - which I haven't had in forever. Then I found out that one of my best students *while super lazy!!* was being pulled from school without any notice. Just pulled right out of my seventh hour! What the crap? I received no explanation, from anyone, not even after asking WHY????
Then in my Spanish 4 class, we are showing the movie "Like water for chocolate," in order to introduce students to the idea of magical realism in latin american works of literature (and movies). It is a very explicit movie so we have edited the content to the best of our ability, and then sent letters home explaining that there may be some flashes...
My fifth hour arrived and I played the CD, only to find out that the "flashes" were ALL THE SCENES! My co worker gave me the WRONG DVD!!!!!!!! I was sweating bullets in the back of the classroom, and couldn't make myself look like an idiot with my kids, so I just let it play and stopped it about 10 minutes early in order to avoid yet another shot of boobs to go across the projector screen. I wanted to DIE. I emailed my co worker and said "THIS WAS NOT THE EDITED VERSION" and she felt horribly.
I went into work early today and found the RIGHT dvd. I was so relaxed! I couldn't believe it!!! The kids did not even notice the different quality between the edited DVD and the unedited one... they didn't notice the appearing and disappearing scenes, or the fact that the sound quality is awful in the copy. Either way, I was glad today was a more lucky day! no full frontals! no boobs in my classroom!!!!!
Then I was working on this AP handout on a piece of literature that I have never taught before. Right before I had to leave my classroom, I put the packet I was using in my school bag so that I could continue to work on it during my following off hour, or after school.
When the time arrived to continue working, the 25-page packet was gone. GONE. I literally interrupted the math class in my classroom to see if I had put it in a drawer, I took everything out of my school bag, I went page by page through everything I had in the bag. 25 pages gone. MIA.
When, pray, did I find the packet? Why, today of course! Where was it? IN MY BAG! WTF????
Then I got home, only to find out that my nephew got suspended, my mom had a fight with my grandmother, and my dad was in one of his none-too-happy moods...
I went to bed at 8:30 pm. I was ready to bid the horrible Tuesday the 13th goodbye, and hope that it doesn't happen again for at least another 365 days. or 500 days. or ever.

Goodnight!

B

(there are other things to talk about, but this is as much as I could manage for one night)