Friday, June 28, 2013

of conferences

Today marks the end of my first week as an exchange grad student in beautiful Salamanca. On Sunday, we had our meeting, In which we learned that on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we would be subjected to attending an international conference of Spanish teachers. Normally, the teacher in me would be stoked, but my last two experiences attending conferences have been terrible, horrible, no good... Speakers who don't show up, speakers whose title of presentation does not match the content of the presentation... Flat out disasters. Of course, the past three days have NOT been any different... That is, except for the part where we are in Spain!!
The most positive aspects of the conference:
Two coffee breaks. 
Free cookies. 
A couple of good publishers selling materials. 
ONE good workshop on motivation and motivating students. 
WINE, CHEESE, JAMON IBERICO and cured meats on the afternoon break. Folks, why can't we do this in the States??? It proves that there is nothing wrong with providing teachers with bottles of red, local wine to consume before embarking on the second half of the day. It really helped to have something to look forward to, after the sessions were so miserable. 
Today is the end of the conference, and I could not be happier. I am sitting at my last presentation, and I am not ashamed to be blogging, because this lady has good ideas but can't present to save her life!!! When are we going to make GOOD, effective power points, people????
I wish I could say I met my spanish husband, but the truth is I have not. It has been about the same every day.... Wake up, get ready, go to class, hang for a bit, go home, be home by 8 and then stay in. Let me tell you that being in the center is torture. When I am putting on my pajamas, people are starting to trickle down to the center, they are lively, loud and I am super jealous of the fact that they are out and that they have people with them!!!! I am the only person in my group who rented in the center of town, and while I believe it was the right choice for me, it is hard to venture alone at night. The side streets do get dark, and well, what am I to do alone at night????
Yesterday, we all agreed to do something. We met at 745 by the library and then walked to the plaza mayor. There was a big soccer game, Italy vs Spain, semifinal of the confederations cup. We picked one of the many restaurants by the plaza, and sat down to watch the game outside. So amazing. We had beer, tapas, wine, and enjoyed a true spanish tradition of watching a game surrounded by people, on a big screen.... Spain, thankfully, won the game (after completing the game, going to full on extra time and then going on to two rounds of penalty kicks). 
During this, I met a few more people from the program. I quite enjoyed an American kid, Brian. We were not ready to go home after the game, so we called up Cristina -the only spaniard in our group- and asked her to meet us at Pan y Agua, a dive bar close to the center. It was so cool to see where Spanish people go. Super sketchy place, plastered with black and white pictures of the regulars, English music, and a very dangerous drink called Valencia water. It is a mix of vodka, orange juice and champagne. It comes with two straws, that's how strong it is. We danced, talked, and the headed home at around 130. Yesterday was the first night since I came to Salamanca that I truly felt like I made the most of the day AND the night! !!
Tonight we are planning on going salsa dancing. Tomorrow my plan is to see some more of the cultural aspects of this town: the Art Deco museum and the towers of the cathedral. 
I'll keep you posted!!! 
Xoxo,
Bee







1 comment: