Thursday, March 12, 2009

Teacher's lounge: a spinoff of the Office

6:50 AM -- Teacher's start trickling in. Everyone half asleep, half of them carrying either coffee mugs or VENTI Starbucks. Standardized testing today AND a meeting for some but not all of the teachers. Amanda takes off to the meeting with her breakfast (coffee + pastry from Starbucks), a pencil and a notebook.
7:35 AM -- Amanda arrives at the lounge from the meeting with her notebook, her pastry, but no pencil. She realizes she doesn't have a pencil and starts looking frantically for it. She leaves the room.
What is so special about this pencil? All the teachers start talking about it. Could it be an expensive pencil? Oh yeah, speaking of expensive pencils, have you seen the Pencil Sharpener at the Resource Office? Ohhhh yeah, I want it. I think I'm going to use the 150 dollar relief we are supposed to use before the end of the year and get it. 150 BUCKS? Yeah! I looked it up! It's 75! With the rest of the money, I will get a Starbucks card. Take that, frivolous spending! I thought you gave that up for lent? Meh, I gave up. Now I am spending as much as I can.
7:43 AM -- a male teacher (who does not belong in the lounge) enters the office, walks by the "free candy," takes a handfull of Hershey's kisses and walks out the other door. ---SILENCE--
Who was that? Oh, I am not sure, but he does that a couple of times a day.
7:45 AM -- Amanda walks back into the room. If I see ONE KID holding that pencil I WILL DIE! It's TEN DOLLARS!
Amanda, you shouldn't spend ten dollars on a pencil, have you heard we are in a recession? You should just get these **smile wide, as I hold a wooden pencil ***
Do you want MY HAND TO FALL OFF?
Well. no. Do you think you threw it out with your coffee cup?
---silence----
Amanda runs back out of the room to "check the trash."
7:52 AM -- Amanda storms into the room holding her mechanical pencil and screams: VICTORY! and as she screams, the male teacher enters through the same door, grabs another handful of candy and walks out the opposite door.
See? told you.



Characters:
-The water cooler
-The water-cooler thief
-The loud teacher that thinks she's funny
-The quiet teacher with a mousy voice
-The teacher that steals the candy
-Frank, the lounge Halloween Skeleton that's been in the office for over 5 years
-The new teacher
-The student teacher
-The creepy student teacher
-The teacher that hangs out in the lounge, but has a classroom on the other side of the building and should really be hanging out in a different lounge
-The students that visit the lounge and never want to return again
-The microwave mess
-The water delivery guy
.... and more to come

1 comment: