So, it has been a while since I have posted, but it isn't because of lack of wanting to post... but because of the lack of school/career related stuff for me to write about! Given that it is summer, my school talk has been greatly diminished and it is not until now that I have stuff to write about! And thus, without further ado....
First of all, I went to my very first Red Rocks concert - WILCO - sponsored by Amanda. Before the concert she gave me a 648-page package of construction paper in 12 different colors and a set of 12 pens! TOO EXCITING! With that, I now have paper clips, highlighters, a binder, sharpies, bic pilots, pens, a notebook, a planner, jumbo paper clips, a coffee mug, a coffee thermos, and a first-aid kit for my classroom... all courtesy of CSH teachers! I also used to have a 25 dollar gift cert. to Starbucks, but I definitely drank that money away before I actually needed it to stay up during a bad school day! Can you blame me, though?
In other news, I managed to sit down and write my very first syllabus. I chose Spanish 1, because it is the class that I actually taught for more time than Spanish 2 (the other class I'll be teaching this year). As I sat down to choose how/what to write, I looked up a couple of samples online and used Mr. G's syllabus to guide me as well... can you believe no one ever taught me how to write a syllabus while I was in college? wtf is up with that, CU Boulder? Anyway, I started writing the syllabus and I kept using impersonal crap such as "The student will learn..." "The student is expected to..." and then I realized how TERRIBLE it sounded! I mean, as a high schooler I want to be talked to, not talked at.... so I took a risk and wrote my syllabus in first person (I) and directed myself to the students in a letter kind of format... here's an excerpt:
Expectations:
My expectations are –and will always be—very high. You are expected to come to class EVERY day. You must come to class on time, for tardiness not only affects you, it affects everyone around you (...) You are expected to participate and, most importantly, be energetic! (I know we all have “off” days, but staying positive and keeping an open mind is a HUGE part of learning a new language) (...) You are expected to come to class ready to work, do your homework, ask questions (before, during or after class), take notes, and –most importantly—you are expected to be willing to take a risk, ESPECIALLY while you are building your speaking skills. Speak up!
And just as I expect A LOT from you, you can expect a lot from me. I will be prepared to teach you every day, I will always have an open door to answer any questions you might have, I will always be encouraging, I will answer e-mails as quickly as I possibly can, I will give you enough time with projects and presentations, and I WILL NEVER give you a pop quiz.
And, there you have it! Part of my very first syllabus experience. I was very much relieved when I sent it to Amanda, so she could look it over and she told me hers is also written in first person. It seems to be an unusual course of action that is becoming a bit more popular, at least at the HS level. Good times.
In other news, my very first school district meeting is this Wednesday. It is basically payroll/benefits crap, but it is still NEW crap to me. I shall be hearing about money, payments, pay days, all the millions of dollars I will be making, as well as whether or not I can get glasses if I need them, whether or not I can continue going to my current doctor, and whether or not I can buy cheap meds. I shall keep you posted on this very important matter!
I have also been looking up classroom decorations, and given the outstanding prices of posters featuring Venezuela, Panama or even Mexico (19.99 and up), I have raided the cyberworld and my own collection of pictures in order to create a Panama-focused bulletin board to at least start the year with SOMETHING! I have asked my peeps in Panama to get me some stuff from the Ministry of Tourism, but so far no luck -- or at least I haven't heard anything.
Oy vey!
xoxo,
Miss B
No comments:
Post a Comment