Ok, so per Induction Requirements I was given these two questions:
What are you most passionate about as en educator? In your discipline?
Recall and describe one of your most powerful learning experiences.
So... since I haven't written out my answers yet I figured I'd give it a shot here!
I think what I am most passionate about as an educator is transmitting my love for learning. I am by no means an all-knowing being and I enjoy being surrounded not only by professionals, but by my students, because I find that I learn from each and every single individual every day. I might no be learning something that qualifies as "academic," but I learn about overcoming difficulties, about dealing with loss, about perseverance, about hope, friendships. I learn about cultural differences, political beliefs, aspirations, and I even learn some English every day!
I feel that because learning is such an important part of who I am, I transmit this excitement on to my students in hopes that they too will become one day as thirsty for learning as I am.
As far as my discipline goes... I don't have enough words to describe what I am most passionate about. I love it. It is my first language and it is a big part of my "whole." However, if I had to pick one portion of my discipline which I am most "in love" with it would have to be short stories in Spanish. One of my favorite ones is by Marquez, "Un Señor Muy Viejo con Unas alas Enormes."
One of my most powerful learning experiences happened through my student teaching. I had the unusual honor of being "THE TEACHER" of all 140 (levels 1, 3 and 4) kids from day one at SLHS. Not only was I offered the chance to teach class, I was given the opportunity to handle planning, testing, parent communication, etc. I had been feeling a bit weary of my career decision up until the point where Mr. Gonzalez (my cooperating teacher) opened his door for me. I saw myself evolving through my teaching methods, my relationship with students and parents, and my organizational skills. I discovered my strong points, and my weaknesses. I learned to work as part of a team, but also to believe in my strength as an individual.
Good answers! I know your kids love you because of your energy and love. Keep it up, chica!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite short stories is by Márquez too! I Only Came to Use the Phone ("Solo Vine a Hablar por Teléfono"), part of the Strange Pilgrims collection of short stories. I love all his stuff...
ReplyDelete