Back to School Night came and went. I woke up forty five minutes late today, courtesy of the 15809-hour work day I had yesterday. Either way, I am glad B2N happens (and din din with Shi! :) ). As a teacher, it is SO VERY IMPORTANT to create some sort of connection with home. You need to find out what's happening, if the student needs any special accommodations he or she might be afraid to ask for, if they can't sit or work with a certain person, etc... and I feel B2N is the best way to start this "communication" between teacher and parent.
It was so refreshing to see a community where parents actually SHOWED UP. I had one particular class period where there were so many parents I did not have enough chairs for every one of them, and while it was thoroughly intimidating I also enjoyed seeing them "nodding" when I made academic statements about my class, and laughing at my jokes (Which might or might not have been good, btw).
The best part about MY WHOLE day though, was when "JULE" and her mom approached me last night. This girl is so kind, has such a warm smile, participates in class... in general she is the student any teacher wants. Anyway, I was standing at the hallway and she was walking with her mom towards me and then she just said "Hola, SeƱorita!" and ran to me to give me a hug. It is the second week of school and one of my students is offering me a free hug? It was rewarding, but it also was comforting to me as a teacher. It tells me that even though I have to be a b!tch some days, I am doing something right... an even if every single one of my 166 students doesn't feel this way, the fact that there's ONE out there who does is plenty for this silly teacher.
I can't wait to see what I can achieve with my kids this year. I can't wait to see how far they can go learning a new language, and I especially can't wait to see how great the relationship between me and my students is going to be.
Cheerskis for the weekend!
xoxo,
B
No comments:
Post a Comment