Friday, August 14, 2009

Of dealing, loss, and other melancholy terms...

This morning's inservice did not start on the same positive note of other days... During our dept. meeting, we were informed that J. Merk, a student who graduated with the class of '09 at HHS, had passed away. One of the teachers -- the only one who knew exactly who it was, and spent time with him through Spanish Honors Society as well as other activities-- automatically broke down in tears. J was skateboarding and collided with a car, he was pronounced dead at the hospital that same night. J left behind a younger brother, a Junior this year.
It dawned on me that I will have to deal with these tragedies, and that I will face a huge array of emotions I might not have ever felt before. I have a long career ahead of me, which involves getting close to hundreds of kids every year... I have to walk them through the great times, help them overcome obstacles, teach them, and -- God forbid-- I will also have to mourn them.
In light of today's event I want to keep this blog post short. May you be well, and healthy.

XOXO,
Srta. B

1 comment:

  1. You're very right! I've had this thought before, but I've tried not to think about it. Wow, we have a huge responsibility on our shoulders, don't we?

    ReplyDelete