But I am back... barely alive, but back!!!
The first six weeks of school came and went (as of last Friday).
I can't believe I have been a real teacher, with my own kids and my own classroom (which I now share with a teacher first period), and my own desk, and my own grade book, for six weeks. The school year is zooming past me, next thing I know I will be sitting at graduation with my seniors from advisory... a colorful group, might I add!
It has been a roller coaster. There have been tears, laughter, embarrassment, and a lot of learning.
On the tears aisle... I was practically harassed by a helicopter mother who made me re-think my career choices. She sent a scathing email, which I gladly shared with the AP, my two department chairs (which includes my mentor), and my instructional coach. I was happy to see how much support I got from them (AND from the teachers at CSH, who have been great with advise and awesome comebacks for this annoying mother!). I replied to her email on Monday and have not heard back yet...
Bee - 1 Helicopter mom - 0
What she doesn't know is that next time I receive a rude email, she will be getting a call from the AP.... heheehehehhe
On the laughter aisle... every day is a different thing, but I have been enjoying my seventh hour quite a bit. They make me laugh a lot... and always come up with the weirdest topics that -- in their brains-- tie back to Spanish class. Southpark + Guatemala?
On the embarrassment aisle... can I just say how DIFFICULT it can be to switch from Spanish to English pronunciation all day long? Well... saying SHEET became one of my least favorite words to say... now I say paper. SO EMBARRASSING...
On the learning aisle, we can pile up every day of teaching I have had so far. I have learned how interested experienced teachers are in my silly games and fun activities and how willing they are to visit my classroom when one of them is taking place. I have learned that you can't play games with every class, and that you always need to have a backup plan for those classes who can't handle the games, I have learned that kids always need another chance... because we don't know what's going on at home, I have learned that teachers are funny, but that they can also be really mean, I have learned that fake flowers and high schoolers do not mix, and I have learned that a Purell dispenser will be abused if placed next to the door.
As I said.... lots of learning....
Much love,
Bee
I haven't heard the story of the helicopter mom, so I want to hear that tomorrow. I feel like we haven't chatted in forever! We'll catch up at HH! :) Miss you.
ReplyDelete