Sunday, November 22, 2009

Of the first semester of teaching, and much more...

Shiloh has been begging me to post more often, but every time I get home the last thing I want to do is sit down and use the computer. I have been trying to avoid it as much as possible, and even Yoga appeals to me more than logging on and burning my eyes with the computer screen. However, Shiloh left me this weekend and she is currently sitting down at the beach sippin' on margs and I am sad and alone. Hahaha. JUST KIDDING, SHI!

The semester is practically over. I have little over 15 days (school days) left in my calendar to scratch out what is my very first semester of teaching. It has had many positive things, and also a couple of negative things... but all in all (and because of the season) I am thankful for the whole experience.
Among the positives is the fact that I have an amazing group of people in my department. I am the youngest, but they do not treat me as such. Never have I ever felt like a "noob" or as someone they do not have anything to learn from. It is actually quite the opposite, and on a daily basis I find myself discussing different ways of teaching Spanish and different ideas as to how to approach grammar or vocabulary. It is refreshing to know that though I am new as an educator, my young age allows them to get fresh ideas and approach things in a different way.
Also, among the positives with the staff is the fact that we really support each other. We talk. We get along -- and we have differences... but we talk about them. There is little drama (if any at all) and we try to keep things out in the open -- whether we agree with each other or not. I think that communicating is a crucial part of having a good and healthy department in any subject area and I am SO lucky to be in a department that allows communication to HAPPEN!
Another HUGE positive of my semester has been the great group of kids that I have. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I want to use my jewelry to self-inflict pain because they are being obnoxious, but as individuals they simply are a great group. They are funny, and smart, obnoxious, hilarious, complex and ever-so-surprising. Sometimes one little thing they do makes my day - while other times those same little things can send me over the edge.
I have learned so much about me through them, and without them even knowing, I learn so much about them at the exact same rate. Some of them - while going through terribly difficult times - have shown an enormous amount of dedication and willingness to take risks, while others have it so easy but refuse to step out of their boxes for fear of being "uncool." Either way, they surprise me. They really do. I am lucky to be where I am, and they make it worth my while.
Another positive of this semester has been the fact that I have become much closer to people such as Jessica and Shiloh. Having teachers in my life is really good, and its comforting to know that I have people in my life that know what's happening and how I feel and the fact that sometimes you just want to shut yourself in and not talk because you have been talking all day... and sometimes you just need a beer or an hour of yoga to get over a kid that really pissed you off ---- or in my case, a parent! Along with those two people is also Molly, my Glee companion. It has been great to have her around this semester... and though she is going through a lot of changes too, we get to talk about them and discuss the greatness that is Glee. It is a happy time in my week when I open my front door and we spend one hour watching Glee, singing along and discussing the possible outcomes of Quinn and Finn having a baby.
Among the negatives is Mommy Dearest, the parent I spoke about a few posts ago. A mother who has made my life as a teacher a living hell and someone who -- according to our principal -- is someone "very influential" in the community. She started a terror campaign, and brought me up in a conversation with the principal... who of course had to talk to me and tell me how INFLUENTIAL she was and how she is very prominent at school and in the community... and that she also is practically the "face" of the parents from HHS. Therefore ever since that encounter I have found myself walking on eggshells around her son (who is no Einstein). It is SO discouraging to find out that an influential parent can have such a negative effect on my work-day, let alone on a principal! But hey! I guess it's a true portrayal of the way the real world runs. You got influence? Okay! What do you want?
There is much more for me to post about, but it is bed-time!

Much love,
B

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Not only was I pleased to see a new post when I finally returned from Mexico tonight (four hours later than planned), but I was also mentioned. Not once, but TWICE!!! Wow, I am so pleased. And I miss you terribly and can't wait to see you. Let's get together this week.

    ReplyDelete