Can someone tell me why it is we teachers don't make the big bucks?
I missed the memo.
Ugh. I can't feel my toes. I don't think that's a good sign!
Anyway, today was Back to school night @ our school. It is always dreaded, because parents come in hoping you remember who their kid is - even if you've seen them only 8 times (within a class of 33, 34, 35 students). They want you to know their special accommodations and wonder how they are doing in class... and even though it is from 6:30 to 9 pm... it is easily more stressful, more exhausting and more overwhelming than parent/teacher conferences (especially cause there is no sketchy bar on 470 and Broadway with all the staff afterward!)
You have to make a first impression, state your expectations, explain class goals AND manage to breathe in 7 minutes - which is the amount of time you see each of your "periods." I talk a lot. 7 minutes is not nearly enough time for me to say what I need to say, to make a point of why I do the things I do, to convey how much I love my job and how much I do really care about their sons and daughters... it is exhausting to put it all into such a short amount of time.
This year, however... I think I kicked butt.
I could see parents nodding when I explained how to use my website, explained my zero tolerance for late homework, explained my use of Spanish in the classroom and repeatedly stated that homework is only 10% of their grade. Many walked away saying "thank you. you are really providing some great tools for our kids," "thank you for all the time you spend putting your website together," "so happy he can download notes!" Others walked away saying how glad their kids were in my class... and more parents than I'd like to admit stopped by to complain about the fact that their kids were not able to get into my classes.
Three different sets of parents told me that they had sent letters (!!!) addressed to the administration, to advocate for their need of having ME as their kids' Spanish teacher. Three.sets.of.parents. That is so priceless to me. I don't think they realize that.
All in all, it was great to see some old faces (former parents). It was great to get some nods of approval. It was great for me to see how many kids I actually DO know already. It was exhausting but worth every second of my time... especially when parents actually show up for this event.
Some highlights of my day in general:
- One of the counselors stopped to tell me she was sick and tired of hearing my name and "schedule change" in the same sentence. She said she wanted to be in my class because I was obviously the most popular WL teacher at HHS.
- I bought myself *and SHI* a sweeeeeeet black blinged out watch.
- I got a 60 dollar sweater for 20 bucks.
- I ate Noodles and CO.
- Seeing Shi-town.
- Tomorrow is Thursday, which means I am a day closer to FRIDAY.
- I get to sleep...
- in my bed.
- now.
<3
B
No comments:
Post a Comment