Saturday, August 21, 2010

of IDs, freshmen, bumpin' and grindin'

Finished the first week of school. DONE. In the history books. In the memories of all the little boys and girls who are still trying to figure out high school and all the seniors who are ready to bust out of school to start their college careers (and to start partying illegally like its 1999).
The week started off a little iffy, with a few douchey kids - as I mentioned in the previous post - but ended in a high note. The classes are getting better, I am learning the kids' names at an alarmingly fast pace, the kids wave at me in the hallways (yessss!), I have been getting to school on time, and the schedule goes back to normal on Monday.
The LINK assembly was great! Most of the student body stayed (huge deal) and the cheers were 1000 times better than last year. Our freshmen take up over half the gym. We barely fit in our building anymore.
After a long ass week, though, I had to go back to school and chaperone the Welcome Back Dance. It is the largest dance of the year and we had upwards of 900 kids show up yesterday. A few of my seniors said it was by far their best WBD, and they were sad to see it end so quickly. Some of the kids dressed in regular clothes, but most of the kids got together with their friends/significant others/cliques and picked a theme. We had everywhere from M&Ms, to superheroes, to "seniorcorns" (senior boys dressed up like unicorns), sailors, old people (two kids showed up dressed as old people, one with a cane, one with a walker. HILARIOUS), all the way to messy painters and nerds. It really amazes me how creative our kids can be.
Now, the dancing is a different story. I stayed far away from the dance floor, but was sent in on "Recon" missions a few times to make sure there were no mosh pits, kids making out, punching, etc... not that I could have actually CONTROLLED the situation, but I guess that's beside the point. The kids were disgusting. I have never seen something so scarring in my entire life. It was sex on the dance floor. My students having sex. There were parents and admins and teachers and the kids didn't give a damn.
I thought about my high school prom. I don't recall any sex on the floor taking place. Most of the girls had spent so many hours getting ready we refused to get sweaty. Yesterday, no time getting ready mattered. The student center was a hot and humid jungle of kids having sex with their clothes on.

I had nightmares.
Oh, High School!

xoxo

B

No comments:

Post a Comment