I woke up, picked a birthday outfit, and drove to school like every other Thursday - looking fwd to 5th hour with BW, obviously. My kids went all out. Surprised me like I didn't expect to be surprised. For the first time since high school - it feels like - I had a room full of people, the lights off, and 34 loud kids singing me Happy Birthday. There were candles, and an actual cake!
It made me miss home. It made me miss my family and made me realize that in the 10 months that I get to have my students every year, they kind of become a little family. Each class is different from each other, each group of kids has a different mechanic, each group has a different relationship with me... each class is its own little world... but they are all my little families.
I received more cakes and cupcakes that I am willing to admit. Two Starbucks coffees. Three Hello Kitty stuffed animals for my desk. Two Hello Kitty birthday cards. Two giant packets of gum. One huge Hello Kitty stuffed animal. One bucket-full of Hello Kitty stuff. Hundreds of hugs. Three birthday songs. Love from the kids that some days hate me, and love from the kids that love me every day.
All in all, it was a kickass day. Never did I ever expect it. It's something I will not forget. I am lucky.
One lucky teacher.
During lunch, the moment I waited for all day, I sat down at the table. B came over and sat at the table as well. It took me almost the whole period but I worked up the courage to ask him to join us for happy hour and he said "absolutely!" I almost choked on my grapes. I fully expected him to decline. He makes me so nervous. I wish he knew.
Y así pasan los días de lunes a viernes,
Como las golondrinas del poema de Becquer,
De estación a estación,
Enfrente tu y yo va y viene el silencio.
No comments:
Post a Comment