Tuesday, January 25, 2011

of cupcakes and earnings

My day ended yesterday with some amazing news: my school is not going through any cuts this year. We are keeping everyone but the people retiring. For the first time in about 4 years no one has to lose their job.
You can feel a more relaxed atmosphere at school, and while I believe some should get up and go (nosecoughnose), I am very pleased to know that some of the people who are new this year - like Handle + Chrissy- do not have to worry about joining the loads of teachers who will be unemployed at the end of this school year. 
I have never taken my job for granted, but knowing that I am employed for the next school year is absolutely amazing. It changes a lot of things. It makes all of us feel better about waking up in the mornings and putting up with mean sophomores and lazy freshmen. It makes me feel better about investing many thousands of dollars into my graduate education. It makes me feel better about striving to be the best I can be... as corny as that sounds. 


Today my assistant principal observed my class. Not only did he observe my largest class (34 students + a student assistant), he observed my SEVENTH hour. I did not look forward to it at all. I was actually a little scared for my mental sanity, but surprisingly enough my kids did AMAZINGLY well. He called me "a natural." I am glad he did, for I don't know how to do anything else. I am useless outside of the walls of my classroom. The only thing I am good at is teaching. 


Tonight I sat down and watched Obama's speech. His state of the union address gave me just the extra "oomph" I needed. He talked about education, and I FELT SO PROUD to be a teacher:


Let's also remember that after parents, the biggest impact on a child's success comes from the man or woman at the front of the classroom. In South Korea, teachers are known as "nation builders." Here in America, it's time we treated the people who educate our children with the same level of respect.
[...]

In fact, to every young person listening tonight who's contemplating their career choice: If you want to make a difference in the life of our nation; if you want to make a difference in the life of a child - become a teacher. Your country needs you.

Good night, fellow teachers and friends. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment