Wednesday, March 30, 2011

of guns

Today was a rough day. It was busy. It was really hot in my classroom and the kids were squirrelly. I showed up at school in a bad mood and regretted working so late on my summer AP assignment. I mechanically went through the day, and thanked the lucky stars for my Spanish 4 Spring Plays, which are being rehearsed this week. Those kids can always lift my spirits and it is always so endearing to see them working so darn hard on something they are obviously loving. The process has been long, the running back and forth between lecture halls has been rough, but most importantly... their faces when each run-through of the play is done and things are looking and sounding better is priceless.
My seventh hour almost ruined it, but I was able to put myself back together only to hear about a "Standup" faculty meeting announced over the PA system. "Standups" are not done often, and are normally to give quick and important information out to teachers - cuts, student issues, last minute stuff on state testing, etc.
I ran down the stairs to find a full lecture hall and was a little shocked by what we were told...
After a tip from an individual, the school was made aware of the possible existence of a weapon on campus and the cops were called. After a particular, but undisclosed, period of time the gun was found: it was not loaded, it was in the trunk of a current student of our school, the student was taken into custody. Many questions were asked by staff: who is the student? (to which we got no answer) is anyone else involved? (no clue) why did the kid bring it to school? (still under investigation)... and on and on went the questions.
The following article was posted on a local website today:

COLORADO - A student was arrested at HHS on Wednesday after police found a handgun in the trunk of his car. Administrators at the school and the school's Police resource officer assigned were tipped off about the gun earlier on Wednesday. They were able to figure out who the student was and searched his car.
The gun was not loaded and there was no indication it was used in any crime or that the student had planned to commit a crime.
Police took the student into custody and he faces charges of unlawfully carrying and possessing a weapon on school grounds, a felony, and possession of a handgun by a juvenile, a misdemeanor.
He was taken to the Juvenile Assessment Center and his bond has not been determined.

Vague... right?
I feel the same way. I feel like I want to know more. I feel like I hate the stupid windows on my doors (which I discussed on a previous post) more than I did on the day I saw them... I feel like guns should be better controlled, no matter what gun-loving people say, because if they were better controlled we wouldn't have to worry as teachers about the safety of our kids and ourselves! I feel a little bit betrayed that nothing was said until 2:30 in the afternoon. I feel relieved that nothing happened... but can't help but wonder if there is a reason why the gun was not loaded - is there someone else that has the bullets? is there a plan in motion nobody knows about?

No comments:

Post a Comment