Thursday, June 9, 2011

of the policies of wasted potential

I moved to Greeley on Sunday in order to do 4 classes for my MA program. I was nervous when I walked into the dorms. I was also amazed. The dorm where I will be staying until July 2nd is beautiful. Had I known dorms like these existed, I would've started my MA program much earlier :) The rooms are beautiful, but most importantly we have air conditioner. As you know very well, Greeley is well known for its stench. I am not sure where the smell comes from, but some days it can seep into your clothing, and there is no way to get away from it. In the middle of summer, as you know, the smell is exacerbated. I am pleased to say that the A/C makes it unsmellable - that is, until you walk outside.
This week, pedagogy week, is nowhere near as fun to watch as Hollywood week in American Idol. However, it has been a week (or, well 4 days so far) full of good conversation, politics and an amazing group of people... save for a few. The most impressive part of the class has been my professor. She is absolutely amazing. She has had one heck of a life experience and I strive to be more like her as I continue to be a part of this place we call planet Earth.
Our professor was a face, a pillar, a victim of the Chicano movement in the 70s. She has gone to jail, her husband was murdered...she is an activist like I have never seen or come across in my entire life.
The experience as a whole has been super positive. I am learning a lot, but I am also exhausted. I have written four papers and done one 30 minute presentation since Monday and have to write 2 more and do one more presentation by tomorrow at 4 pm.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of work. I'm sure you're doing fabulous on all of it. Keep up the good work. I miss my friend. Come home soon!!!

    ReplyDelete