Friday, August 12, 2011

of keys stuck on locks...

I have accomplished a lot this week. I went back to work with a sprained ankle, and managed to make it through my first week back. It is crazy to think that this is my THIRD year of teaching. I still feel like I am learning the ropes, for there is so much to learn every single year we return. We learn about the changes to policies, changes in staff, we learn about our students' special needs, we learn our students' names, we learn how to get back into our routine -which we so sorely miss during the summer,- we learn a little bit, whether we want to or not, every.single.year.
This year has been different: with a new principal, a new instructional coach, a new counselor, several student teachers, and a new literacy coach. There hasn't ever been so much change for me at the school... but after having a beer with our brand new principal (along with other teachers, of course), I feel extremely positive and hopeful about the changes she is bringing along. She is grounded, and not afraid to speak her mind. She is passionate, but not a push-over. She is well-rounded, and supports us as educators. She believes in us. I think I have had more personal, in-depth conversations, in a mere few days than I ever did with our former principal. I am not sure if it is because she is a woman, or because she actually cares, but I honestly feel like I can go into her office and just talk. I never have felt that before, as much as I respected and will miss our former principal. I think our school was thirsty for change, and what better year to start shaking things up than the 2011-2012 school year?
My classroom looks amazing, my rosters look decent, and my department hasn't ever been stronger (with one exception, obvi). I feel like this is going to be one freakin' awesome year... now I need to make sure I stay on top of things. Most importantly, though, I need to make sure I keep myself in check. My personal life was in shambles several times last year, because I didn't give myself the time and respect I deserved. As a third year teacher, I need to recognize my strengths, but also realize that I am not a super-woman and I need ME time.

Here's to one hell of a fabulous school year!!!!!!
HERE WE GO!!!!!!

XOXO

B

No comments:

Post a Comment