I pride myself on the fact that our community is one hell of a great community. I pride myself in the fact that Rachel's Challenge really seems to be having an effect on our kids. I pride myself in the fact that, for the most part, our kids are smart, kind, and will pick to make a good choice over a bad choice - especially when it involves the feelings of other people.
I was wrong. I feel a little cheated.
Someone. And I say someone because there is still not a culprit to be found. Someone picked up one of the hundreds of phones in our building and called a select number of students at our school. Students who are not popular, some students with disabilities, some students who are not the "Créme de la créme... Someone picked up the phone and used their information - also obtained in a way that we do not know - to call them and inform them that they had been nominated for homecoming royalty and they were required to see our Student Government Sponsor as soon as possible to get the details.
When the kids were informed that this was a hoax, they were devastated.
In whose heart does it fit to do something like this? If you are going to do something negative, then make sure that it is only going to affect you. Why is it that this student (or students) felt the need to harass kids who I am sure have been harassed plenty? How is it that they pick to do this, instead of sneaking out of their house in the middle of the night, or making some other stupid decision that affects only them...
I wanted to cry. I was really shocked to find out that someone from our community, that community that I am so proud of, would make such a poor choice. He/She has scarred the senior or junior year of all of those kids. He/She has made a negative impact that will last... because that lasts...
No one knows who it was. The phone number that shows in every case is the main LPS phone number, which is the only number that comes up when your receive calls - no matter which phone you call from. No one knows it if was a boy or a girl. No one knows how the information was collected. No one knows whether it was an junior or a senior... or even a freshman or a sophomore. The truth is all that is known is who the victims are.
It was like a bad re-make of Mean Girls... except we don't know whether it was girls or boys.
I was very disappointed. I have been thinking about it a lot the past few days... I hope karma bites that student's butt (or group of students)...
Paz,
B
No comments:
Post a Comment