I haven't quite been feeling the whole "Christmas Spirit" thing so much this year... I am not sure if it is the fact that our break starts so late (21st), that snow has been nowhere to be seen, or that I simply am just feeling a little home-sick. I miss those large, fun, and sometimes awkward family dinners at my grandma's house, and being all on our own, just the six of us doesn't really feel "Christmas-y." Today, however, I think I finally caught the spirit...
Due to the fact that I work with leadership/student government kids, we set up a community service activity every semester. This year, one of my kids had a connection to a retirement community. They do something called "Be a Santa to a senior," where many businesses put presents together to make some retired folks very happy. They ask for clothes, towels, sheets, chocolate... nothing too fancy. Once they collect all of these presents, they need to wrap them - that's where we come in. My students and I drove to a sketchy Denver neighborhood today to wrap over 100 presents that are going to go to these elderly people. My kids had a blast, creating "masterpieces" with wrapping paper. They learned how to "curl ribbon," "make tootsie-roll looking packages," and most of all they learned the value of the small things. These people were not getting 600 dollar phones, they were getting things like pijamas, dishwasher liquid, soap, coffee... simple, yet meaningful in their own way to each and every single person. We played Christmas carols, and for two hours my kids did not think of their wants, but rather someone else's. I feel very blessed to have spent that time with them. It was something I needed to put things into perspective... While I may not have a giant family gathering, having just my immediate family is more than enough. I can't wait for the hallacas, the ham, and the rice with pigeon peas. Hooray for the holidays!