Today was the last full day where seniors are supposed to go to class... technically it's tomorrow but most of them get excused and show up for our end of the year senior assembly, hosted by LINK. At this assembly, the freshmen move up to the sophomore spot, the sophomores cross over to the upperclassmen side and take over the juniors spot, and the juniors grab the much coveted "senior bleachers." It is at this assembly that all the HHS teachers make a "tunnel" for the seniors to say a big goodbye to their favorite teachers, and then slowly make their way out of the gym into the theater for the senior slide show... it is at this assembly that a few teachers lose their cool and begin to cry incessantly. Unfortunately, I am one of those teachers. My first year at HHS, I was pretty composed, having just a few seniors. My second year at HHS was not terrible, but I did shed a few tears. Last year.... I WAS A MESS. They were my biggest senior group - by far- and they had also been with me for three years, so it was bound to happen. This year...
Well this year I say goodbye to the freshmen who, like me, arrived at HHS in the fall of 2009. I was fresh out of a long-term sub (my first "real" teaching job) and they were fresh out of middle school. I was their new, stern looking teacher, they were tiny. Back then I didn't wear glasses, and I was taller than most of the boys. Now I am constantly cleaning up my sweet frames, and the senior boys tower over me. The awkward girls now beautiful young women. I have had several of them for 2, 3, and one for FOUR years. I have seen this kid evolve into a wonderful little man. He conducts himself with maturity and at the same time talks about Harry Potter and Hogwarts letters as if the whole thing was real.
Tomorrow I will be a part of that senior tunnel and I will fall apart in front of these kids. I will be completely OK with it. I have been dreading this moment (actually HID behind a door today to avoid crying in front of my kids) all week, but I am prepared for tomorrow... because now they get to go out to the real world and show everyone what I already know: they are fabulous, smart, hardworking, funny, witty, deep, passionate...
Tears will come, hugs will comfort me, but thank goodness for the era of technology - I will be able to follow them and see what they become.
xoxo,
Your Spanish teacher.