Friday, June 14, 2013

of cypress trees

Today I had a hard time getting out of bed. Granada is HOT and I woke up several times during the night because I was sweating. The a/c did little to help this spoiled Colorado brat. I got ready, and then my parents got ready, and at about 9 am we were sitting at the breakfast buffet. It was delicious and they had FRUIT!!! I stuffed like three kiwis into my mouth, afraid they would disappear if I looked away. We got a cab called for us, and rode up the very steep hill to get our tickets for the Alhambra.
We rode back down and walked around Granada. It is a very hot city, we reached 97 today. With that said, the beauty makes up for the heat. The streets are gorgeous, and the more time we have spent here, the more I have fallen in love with it. We took a short one hour break at the hotel before we had to head to the Nazari Palaces up at the Alhambra. 
At 2pm, we were making our way into the palaces. What a freaking incredible place. The detail is just so much that I had a hard time, still am having a hard time, understanding how in the year 1230 the could be creating these magical buildings. If you asked someone today to build you something like that, they could not. The math, the science involved in making these rooms happen is just mind blowing. 
We then went to the Alcazaba, which is the oldest section of this monument. There are some towers that are open for the public, and of course we went up each and every single one of them. The view is breathtaking. You can see the Sierra Nevada from the Torre de la Vela. I don't have words. I can only just smile. 
Finally we walked to the Generalife gardens. Ridiculous. The fact that a sultan had this built to get away from an already amazing building is just crazy to me, but the flowers, fountains, and the watering system are insane!!! Again, lots of pictures, not enough words. We were at the Alhambra from 145 til after 545. After getting another cab, we went back to downtown Granada and walked over to Manolo for a sangria break. We had dinner, and then we came back to the hotel. 
It was so hot I had to shower a second time because I felt so disgustingly sticky!! Now I am better and I am ready for some sleep - as long as the heat doesn't get in the way again. Tomorrow we have a 4 hour car ride to Alicante, land of turron!! Beaches!! Seafood!! 
Xoxo,
Bee











No comments:

Post a Comment