I don't know if I mentioned this on my previous post, but I am not allowed to proctor CSAPS, so this is my third day sitting down until 12-ish at the staff office before I can actually get something done with *gasp* KIDS! Granted, I enjoy the time offered to plan, but one can only use so many hours to create handouts and plan and grade. I have done it all, except for updating the gradebook online -- but I am bored!!!
Yesterday's 1 + 2 hours were okay. First hour is also trying to figure out how far they can push before I put a stop to things, and so the stop came -- swiftly-- right around the 25 minute mark. I don't wish to create a reign of terror, but I also don't want to be their oh my god! favorite teacher like EVER, because that isn't something that happens in four weeks or eight weeks... that's a process that takes time. I am aware that right now I am "the sub" and so it's hard for them to gather this information and deal with it. I know. I was there. But I also need to make sure that they respect me, and that they know answering a phone during class time, and blatantly wasting time are NOT okay: not on my watch.
Speaking of watching, WATCHMEN comes out this weekend and can I say I am ecstatic!? Storey, Astrid and I are going to watch it on Saturday (matinee, obvi). I am sad to say that I have yet to finish the graphic novel, because I kind of need to start it over and I can only start over so many things at a time (right now, starting over Harry Potter, starting over teaching, starting over planning and organizing myself is taking enough of a toll on me).
I had my second interview with DRHS yesterday. It went well and there were three other teachers there... Two of them seemed to be very cool/laid back/nice ladies... the third one (and of course, the AP one) seems to be.... I don't know how to put it better, but she seems weird. She was very secretive about a couple of things and just kind of rude about others... All in all I hope I am not working with her TOO much because I might have to take some muscle relaxants or something before it happens -- given that I will punch her in the face otherwise.
In other news, the first staff meeting happened this morning and it went well. The principal seemed very chill and talked about the recession, gave out some awards, talked about how the stimulus package will help the district (23 mill!), etc. I also got a free 16 oz. blizzard coupon for being amazing.
xoxo,
Miss Bee
Heard Watchmen got a rotten tomatoes vote of 65%. Might not wanna waste your money!!
ReplyDelete