Yesterday I gave my final exams for Spanish 1, and Spanish 2 - first and second hours only. I was perfectly organized, with my room, my chairs, seating charts, etc. I felt pretty darn accomplished, given that normally I am always running behind with planning.
At the end of the day, we had to sign up for hall duty. Hall duty is the one thing I hate about my job. It involves sitting on a hallway and keeping kids off their lockers, out of the hallways and as quiet as possible in the study areas. All sounds dandy, right? Well. NO. It absolutely sucks. Over half of my coworkers either don't show up for their assigned times, or they do not give a crap about whether or not the kids are on the hallways or eating at the study areas - which are allegedly strictly NO FOOD areas. I am one of the few teachers that does her job, and while you're probably thinking "just do what everyone else does," I can't get away with it. Being a new teacher, not tenured and always under the eye of the administrators (They are like Sauron!!!), I have to show up AND I have to do what is expected.
ANYWAY, the sign-up for hall duty is a freaking dog and pony show. It involves an all staff email with an official announcement and "meeting point" where we must gather, form a line, and wait until a particular time of the day chosen by the /mystery voice/Administration. Then we have to pray to be able to find a convenient time, because if there is no time where you are able to do it, they simply just sign you up (and you are expected to magically be there). Needless to say, I showed up early to this mothereffing thing that I dread every semester. And stood in line. I was already IN line, even though I showed up 15 minutes early. The people who hate it more than I do showed up before I did. When I got to the window, after about 25 minutes of waiting, the ONE time of the day I wanted to do it... was blocked off. I had to give my lunch period on Mondays to cover hall duty. I am so mad about it. Good thing it is only spring semester. Now, let's make it snappy, people!
After my hall duty disaster, I headed over to the scantron machines. If you are familiar with scantron machines, you feed it the key, then feed the tests and "clicks" are bad. When you put a test through and all you hear are clicks, it means your kid did not do so hot. Well... based on the clicks I heard from my Spanish 1 kids' tests... I shouldn't have become a teacher after all. Test after test, all I had were Cs, Ds, and Fs. My eyes were tearing up, as teachers stopped by to see whose "machine gun" it was.
Little did I know, the entire time I was using the wrong key. It took me almost twenty minutes to figure out what had happened, but I had switched the keys accidentally and in reality, my kids did end up doing pretty well.
Then time came to post grades. I had finished a whole class and my computer decided it needed a nap. It shut down for no apparent reason. All my work disappeared. Please, put me out of my misery.
Attempt #2... grades are done!! or so I thought. Once I was done with both of my classes, I decided to check my progress by checking the posted grades of a few of my kids. HORROR. All the grades I thought I had posted as final exam grades, had been posted as final grades!!!! ALL my work, yet again, went to the crapper. I had to restart.
A process that normally takes me about half hour, took me almost 2 hours. I was so frustrated with life, technology and scantron tests. All I wanted was to get out of the building. I left promptly at 3 pm, and had a great time with Shiloh and Amanda. Thank goodness for friends!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment