Yesterday during 4th hour, my mentor brought up for umpteenth time the idea of me teaching an AP class next year. I keep brushing it off, because I always think it's a half serious/half true comment. Yesterday for the first time I noticed she wasn't joking.
I tossed the idea around for several hours, before calling Amanda after school to figure out what she thought. Much to my surprise her answer was "Do it!"
When I graduated high school, I joked around with my AP Spanish classmates: "one day I am going to come back and take _____'s job. I will be the AP Spanish teacher." I went to college with that same attitude and goal in mind. I haven't ever forgotten about it, except for the fact that when I arrived at HHS... well... there already was an AP Spanish teacher. If MK wants me to take over for her, even if it's for a few years. Why wouldn't I?
I walked to her room today and I said "do you have time during 4th to talk?" She said yes. After my duties were completed mid 4th hour, I walked into her room with my lunch and said "let's have a working lunch." We discussed a few things and then I boarded the discussion.
She hasn't been kidding. She is 100% rooting for me to take over AP once the Summer Institute is done and over with in August. She told me she feels I would make more sense, as I am the only native speaker in the department. We talked about qualifications, and then we both strolled over to the office to talk to Frau. She seemed pretty stoked, but asked that I spoke to everyone else to make sure there wasn't anyone else interested.
By the end of the day I had spoken to everyone that matters in my book - not The Nose, of course. She wouldn't take that, as it is "too much work" and she "is part time" and who knows how many more "Blahs blahs" go in her explanation.
Everyone seems to be excited for me, and definitely on board with MK's and I's decision. Hopefully it doesn't go awry. I really hope this is a good choice.
kisses,
b
Yay! How exciting :) Look at you go, rising in power at HHS. Keep up the good work!!!
ReplyDeleteso happy/excited/proud!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete