Sunday, July 24, 2011

of meat loaf and havana

Last night was a blast. One of my coworkers, Amy O, invited me out with her friends for dinner to celebrate her bday. We would meet at Rack+Rye, @ Larimer and 15th, and then they would go out for drinks. I convinced my friend MJ to join me with the plan of doing dinner and then skipping out the wild night ahead - it's always wild with little Amy. That's why I love her!
Anyway, upon arriving downtown, MJ and I both noticed the hardship of finding a spot. I finally gave in and decided to park on a tiny little lot right across from the restaurant. It seemed like a good idea, until I actually parked. The parking spot was so tiny, that no more than 10 cars fit. It was also so tiny, that my car, horizontally coming out onto the little pathway where I came in from - was too big. MY CAR IS A SUB COMPACT. I saw a huge sign that read "compact cars only" and I assumed it would be ok to get out of there while there were, well, only compacts on the lot. I parked on the second spot as you drove in, the spot next to me was open. Everything else was pretty much full.
We went to dinner, and unfortunately I could see the lot from where I sat. Within 20 minutes of arriving I saw it: a huge freaking car. A nissan pathfinder. It drove in, and with help from the darn worker who obviously doesn't know what a COMPACT CAR is, he parked right.next.to.me.on.the.open.spot.closest.to.the.street.fml.
We had a glorious dinner - I highly recommend rack + rye. Just go early. Make sure you have everything from drinks to dessert. It was super worth it and I will definitely be back.
And then the dreaded hour arrived: getting out of the spot. First of all, I could barely get into my car. Second of all, the lot was full, no one had left and right when I got into my car a big group of four people was walking onto the lot and another car decided to start pulling out at the same time.
Now, I am not exaggerating. The lot is THE SMALLEST THING EVER. I will never park there again. I started to pull out, and went back the entire length of the pathway - half of the hood of my car was still IN the spot and there was no inch left. I started panicking and noticed the car that pulled out at the same time I did was inching closer and closer - I moved back into my spot and let them out. I rolled down my window at the oncoming group: 2 men and 2 women and I said "I AM A WOMAN! I CAN'T DO THIS!!!!" According to MJ, the women did a little facepalm and rolled their eyes. The two other dudes were super kind.
After almost vomiting every single last ounce of meatloaf and mashed potatoes I had eaten, the Havana Hussy drink I had, and the donuts we shared for dessert, it only took SEVEN PEOPLE to get me out of the spot. I yelled things such as "I will wait for someone else to leave so I have more room," "I will get out of the car and let you (a total stranger) get in here and pull this car out," "I AM SO THANKFUL, I WILL BUY YOU ALL ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!" I finally made it out. I literally haven't ever suffered so much from "Bad woman driving" as I did last night. I shut down. I was ready to just jump out of the moving car. SOOOO over downtown driving/parking.
TAKING THE LIGHT RAIL NEXT TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment