Saturday, October 8, 2011

of car crashes and fake eyelashes

I haven't written in about a week. The truth is I kept thinking I needed to write after everything that happened this week, but I couldn't bring myself to do so. My dad had a car accident on Monday night. He is ok. We are ok. However, I have never been so scared in my entire life. My sister called to let us know he had had an accident and we needed to go to the scene. All she said was "he doesn't sound good." The accident was about 10 minutes away from home, and upon approaching it, all we could see were cop cars, a closed road, a fire truck and two ambulances - one which was pulling away. My dad has a reputation for speeding, we were mortified that he had run a light, or gotten distracted, or maybe even had a heart attack while driving which caused the accident. He was nowhere to be found. His car was rear ended but he was gone. The car behind him was destroyed. We were near a hospital, but even the firefighters didn't know what to tell us. We drove to Parker Adventist and ran into the ER. He was there. After a few minutes, my mom and sister (who got there while we figured out what we needed to do) went in. After that I went in. My dad looked like crap. He had tears running down his face. My dad never cries. I was so scared, he looked so vulnerable. I didn't really know how to react. We all had died a little bit already with the news of the accident, then we all died a little bit more after seeing him immobile on the stretcher. After several hours, and a CAT scan, it was determined he would be ok to go home. He was beat up. Missed a day of work, even though the doctors told him he needed at least 2 days of rest. He is back to his old silly obnoxious self, and as I type this he is upstairs laying down some wooden floor - his newest ridiculously big project. The mere thought of losing my dad scares us all, but in truth, we are all incredibly fragile. Life is fragile. People are fragile. All we can do is make each day count, we need to be - like the Air Force says - excellent in all we do. We need to enjoy life, enjoy each other and leave a mark, a positive legacy on someone every day. That is reality. Every.Day.Counts. Speaking of making days count, I had the opportunity to be a bridesmaid at my friend Molly's wedding yesterday. I feel like we had been talking about that wedding for what seems like years... the moment finally arrived. I took yesterday off, and headed to Larkspur, CO after school on Thursday. We did the rehearsal, we did the dinner, and we spent the night at the cottage at the same place where the event would take place. Molly is one of my few friends left from high school, and also my neighbor. She is a sweet, smart, and incredibly creative human being. She found the man of his dreams while he was halfway across the world serving our country. They fell in love via facebook, after knowing each other for a few years in college, love didn't hit til after he was gone. It's the perfect example of technology changing people's lives. I was lucky, and honored to be a part of their special day. They look like one of those couples from rom-coms, destined to be together forever.... with a silly dance scene at the end of the movie. I wish them love, happiness, and many many cups of Starbucks coffee. I am excited for them to live this chapter of their life. I checked out of reality the past 48 hours, and I woke up today to the first snow of the year. Molly has had so much precipitation in the last couple of days, that it can only mean their marriage will be SUPER SOLID :) I am now off to enjoy the snow from the comfortable couch of our living room, while I upload and edit the pictures from her wedding. Much love, BEE