Tuesday, November 22, 2011

of having too much to say and not enough time to say it...

It has been about one month and 5 days since my last post. My apologies to those of you who have been checking to no avail. The past few weeks have been INSANE. As in, I haven't had a rest until now - insane. First, we had homecoming. This year, I was in charge of the whole dance situation in preparation for PROM next year. It all started off well, but then ended in all sorts of crazy. I busted my butt with my kids trying to put together the dance - which was all in all successful - but we had minimal attendance by our senior and junior classes due to our new dance policy. Then I had to sit through my principal chewing me out because of some "terrible thing" she had witnessed when she walked into the dance floor. Had it not been for the wonderful support of everyone else, I would've lost my job that night. The AP physically dragged me to the office, sat me down, and told me "I needed my five minute to cool off."

Our new principal, while outspoken, spirited, and very efficient, is also very "my way" and she lost control when she figured out "her way" would ruin our dances - so instead of taking care of the situation, she came to yell at me. Yeah. I agree. It was unfair. With that said though... She proceeded to apologize to me verbally AND in written form - something our former principal would have never EVER had the "you know whats" to do. So, yelling outburst and all, I am thankful for our new principal.

After Homecoming, it was time for the talent show! I was one of the few judges who helped select acts to be part of the show - that took three days. I was also ONE of the talents, so that was a whole other level of stuff added to my plate on top of the practice days and tech rehearsals!!! The talent show was on Friday. I sang, along with my friend G, in front of about 1000 people. It was surreal, fun, and very scary. We did a wonderful job, and have been getting compliments from many people who saw us on that day. I think kids appreciated the fact that we became vulnerable in front of them, and that we took a risk. I don't think many teachers had done that in years past.

I have also been super busy with the play! I am part of Oliver! and it is the first time since High School that I am involved in any type of theatrical shenanigans. It's been a blast, and I can't wait for it to be on stage!

See? I told you I was busy! but now it's all over... at least most of it is!

Scholastically, my kids are doing so so so so much better this year compared to last year. I only have 7 kids not passing - 7 out of 175 kids... that's a rocking number. Of those 7, 2 have "Ds" which can be turned into Cs the minute they wake up... the rest of them, well, those probably won't be coming back next semester. Having 100 Spanish 2 students, 5 kids is not a bad number at all - it is my lowest number since I started teaching!!!!

It is now Thanksgiving break, and while it is a "Break," I can't help but think every once in a while that these 2 extra off days we have gotten are not a pat on our back, but rather a cut in our pay. These 2 days are part of furlough days that were perfectly placed to give us a break, but that also make a dip in our pay check. But wait! I am thankful for my district... I am thankful for having found my job when I did, thankful for the community of people who support me, students I ADORE, parents who are a great help, coworkers that care, and all-in-all, a district that is working on making changes that don't involve getting rid of people year after year, cutting people's salaries by 3, 7, or 8 percent year after year, freezing pay... things that my fellow teachers are experiencing just up the road. I am thankful for my job, but SO hopeful for a change in our future. I will be thankful when teachers aren't looked down upon anymore, I will be glad when a day comes that I say "I am a teacher," and people don't ask me why I chose to be poor for the rest of my life. I will be ever so thankful when a day comes that a teacher is once again an honorable job, not something that is on the news on a negative light day after day. While I am thankful for the things I have today, I don't consider myself selfish to hope for a better future in my field. I think my profession deserves it. I also don't think I am using the word "deserves" lightly in that statement.

Things I give thanks for on 2011:

  • I am thankful that my family is healthy, and together this Holiday season. 
  • I am thankful that my mom has had a good, healthy year - MS and all. 
  • I am thankful that in a few days I will be with my family and friends in Panama, after 5 years of not stepping foot in my motherland... 
  • I am thankful for my job, and the people who are a part of what I LOVE to do every day. 
  • I am thankful for Harley, who was such a welcome change in our lives.
  •  I am thankful that my Grandparents - all four of them - are still with us.
  •  I am thankful that fall TV is back on, Forever 21 has brought Hello Kitty back, and the Swedish takeover (IKEA, H&M). 
  • I am thankful for the food we have, the home we live in, and the clothing we have to keep us warm.
  • I am thankful my friends, those I see often and those I don't... they make my life a bright one.
  • I am thankful for books, fireplaces, white wine, chocolate, beer, and pop corn. (individually, of course!)